There is this trend in our society that for a time I openly participated in. It is this tendency to have to be two inches from your cell phone at all time and let's face it these are not cell phones anymore these devices are mini computers. The so called smart phone is dumbing the heck out it's users. I can say that because I was one of those people. There is an application for practically everything. Grocery list .. no problem, punch it into your phone. Want to know how many calories you ate? Just plug it in and the magic little phone will tell you if you ate too many or need to exercise more. No need to memorize your friend's phone numbers you can just scroll look for their picture and hit call. I actually grew up with all my best friend's phone numbers memorized. We had to actually call one another and speak in full sentences, using no abbreviations. There of course is more your phone can do. Link your phone to your twitter and your Facebook so you never have to miss an update from your friends again. I do not know how we can live without knowing who is at the grocery store, who is making supper, or see the latest jokes instantly. It is a bit out of hand. I know 10 year olds with smart phones and a 75 year olds who is playing words with friends on their new iPhone 5. We are taking the human interaction our of our lives and replacing it with these tiny screens.
Somehow I managed to grow up, go to college, and travel on interstates all the time without the assistance of a phone. I have no clue how we ever survived. No need to own an atlas in your car, just plug in your destination and your phone will tell you how to get there. I actually remember the days when you had to look at the map yourself, or heaven forbid, stop at a gas station and ASK for directions. Don't believe it is making people stupid? Then read this article regarding people blindly trusting the GPS units (like the one's in phones).
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB120578983252543135.html.html
The problem is much bigger then people becoming dependent on their phones. It is robbing people of real time with one another. Go to a theater and see the lit up screens all having to double check they haven't missed a text message or go out to eat and see how many patrons are carrying on two conversations at once, one on their phone and one with the person across the table who is most likely also dividing their attention between the phone and their dinner partner.
I do not have room to talk, I am guilty of the same stupidity. I had an expense phone with an expensive monthly bill, all so I could play games and check the weather. I evaluated my life and priorities and you know what I choose to live. I choose to spend more time with my husband and kids. I choose to spend more time actually doing things not just pushing a button. I choose to walk away from the media induced hype of having to have the bigger, better, faster phone to make my life easier. I want a simpler life. I want to work in our garden, use my sewing machine, read a real book, and teach my kids how to read a road map. I do not need the constant distraction of a phone. I personally rather thumb my nose at this phone addiction and be me again. I believe it was worth the disconnect fee.
So to all of you still plugged in .... I hope you do not let life pass you by.
No comments:
Post a Comment